Thanks to Eileen Devaney for the reminder.

John Devaney sign

“On February 3, 1989, at 217 Van Brunt Street in Red Hook, Brooklyn, John P. Devaney of Ladder Company 131 made the supreme sacrifice in the performance of his duty.” -Tom Kane

From the New York Times, Feb. 4, 1989

A ten-year Fire Department veteran searching a blazing Brooklyn apartment building yesterday became the first New York City firefighter killed in more than a year, the Fire Department said.

Firefighter John P. Devaney was looking for people trapped in the four-story building at 217 Van Brunt Street in the Red Hook section, when the room he was in suddenly ”flashed over,” everything combustible in it bursting into flames, Fire Commissioner Joseph F. Bruno said.

Mr. Devaney, 36 years old, was found unconscious by other firefighters, his body covered with third-degree burns, Commissioner Bruno said. Efforts to revive him failed, and he was pronounced dead at Long Island College Hospital at 5:15 A.M. Residents Are Evacuated

All the residents of the building were evacuated, the Fire Department said, and four were treated for smoke inhalation and released. Another firefighter, Eneth Moore, 37, was listed in good condition at Long Island College Hospital, where he was being treated for smoke inhalation and abdominal pains.



This entry was posted in Blog and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to 24 YEARS AGO TODAY…

  1. CJA says:

    Too soon gone…

  2. ne says:

    That was a bad day.

  3. jimmyvac says:

    It is hard to believe it was 24 years ago……horrible day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s